Superfoods that are popular are often high in carbs, even if they are healthy and…
Made from 6 ingredient homemade pizza dough, these easy cheesy breadsticks are a totally irresistible side dish or snack. Brush the dough with a little butter, garlic, herb seasoning, then top with lots of mozzarella cheese. Less than 15 minutes bake time!
Earlier this week, I published my favorite homemade pizza dough recipe. This recipe has been on my blog for nearly 6 years, but I revamped the post with new photos, extra recipe notes & tips, and a video tutorial. I’ve had so much pizza dough in the kitchen, so I decided to try something BESIDES pizza: homemade cheesy breadsticks.
To say these homemade breadsticks are delicious is a gigantic understatement, especially when dipped in your favorite marinara or pizza sauce. These cheesy breadsticks are covered with butter, garlic & herbs, and mozzarella cheese. Bake until golden and you have a side that majorly competes with the main dish.
MY LATEST VIDEOS
Does any other food even exist when you have cheese + garlic + bread?
Cheesy Breadsticks Dough
You can make these breadsticks with 1/2 pound of store-bought or homemade pizza dough. My homemade pizza dough yields about 1 lb of dough, which is enough for 2 pizzas or 1 pizza and 1 batch of cheesy breadsticks. If you only need 1 batch of breadsticks, freeze the other half of dough for another time. You will want to make these cheesy breadsticks again.
Even though store-bought dough is super convenient, I urge you to try homemade pizza dough sometime! The dough requires 6 basic ingredients and about 60-90 minutes to rise.
Most of the “work” is hands-off and the flavor is *outstanding.*
Let’s Make Homemade Cheesy Breadsticks
Once you have your pizza dough ready, here’s what comes next:
- Shape: Shape the dough into a rectangle. The dough wants to be round, so do your best to shape into a rectangle that’s around 9×13 inches. Doesn’t need to be perfect. Cheesy breadsticks taste awesome no matter what shape!
- Top: Top the dough with melted butter, garlic, and Italian seasoning blend. Dried basil or your favorite herb works too. Sprinkle with a generous amount of cheese. I love mozzarella cheese, but you can use your favorite.
- Bake: Bake the breadsticks at a very high temperature so the cheese melts and the edges crisp up. These breadsticks bake in less than 15 minutes!
Flavor Tip: Sprinkle cornmeal on the lined baking sheet. Cornmeal adds a lovely crisp.
Quick Video Tutorial
These cheesy breadsticks are easier than you expect and the best addition to pizza night. And if you make and freeze a few batches of homemade pizza dough ahead of time, you can have this cheesy side dish/snack at your disposal ALL THE TIME.
Wait, is that a good or bad thing?!?
PS: If you need an awesome homemade pizza sauce recipe, I’ve made and love this one.
So You Like Bread & Cheese?
Join the club. Here are even more recipes:
Homemade Cheesy Breadsticks
Made from 6 ingredient homemade pizza dough, these easy cheesy breadsticks are a completely irresistible side dish or snack. You can freeze half of the dough for another night. Only 15 minute bake time!
- 1/2 lb (230g) store-bought or homemade pizza dough*
- 2 Tablespoons (30g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning blend or dried basil
- 1 and 3/4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese*
- optional: sprinkle of cornmeal for dusting the pan
- optional: marinara or pizza sauce for dipping
- Prepare pizza dough through step 3. Punch the risen dough down to release the air bubbles. Divide in half. (Make a pizza with the other half or freeze half of the dough for another time. See dough recipe for freezing instructions.)
- Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C).
- On a lightly floured work surface or on a piece of parchment paper or a silicone baking mat sprinkled with cornmeal (I skipped the optional cornmeal in the video above), roll the dough out into a 9×13 inch rectangle. The dough will want to be round, so do your best to shape it into a thin rectangle around this size– doesn’t have to be perfect.
- Combine the butter, garlic, and Italian seasoning together in a small bowl. Brush over shaped dough. Cover evenly with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. If desired, turn the oven to broil for the last minute to really brown the top.
- Slice into breadsticks and serve pain or with marinara sauce. Cover leftover breadsticks tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Reheat as you prefer. Baked breadsticks can be frozen up to 3 months.
Make ahead tip: See pizza crust recipe for the overnight/make ahead/freezing dough instructions.
- Special Tools: KitchenAid Stand Mixer, Dough Scraper, Baking Sheet, Pastry Brush, Pizza Cutter
- Pizza Dough: You can make these breadsticks with 1/2 pound of store-bought or homemade pizza dough. My homemade pizza dough yields about 1 lb of dough, which is enough for 2 pizzas, 2 batches of breadsticks, or 1 pizza and 1 batch of breadsticks. Toppings listed are enough for 1 batch of breadsticks. If you only need 1 batch of breadsticks, freeze the other half of dough for another time. You WILL want to make these again! All freezing and thawing instructions are in my pizza dough recipe.
- Cheese: Any shredded cheese you love works. Mozzarella is fantastic with the butter, garlic, and herb topping.
Did you make a recipe?
Tag @sallysbakeblog on Instagram and hashtag it #sallysbakingaddiction.
© Sally’s Baking Addiction. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting Sally’s Baking Addiction.