I don’t care what the experts say; attaining flawless skin isn’t as easy as washing…
Natural living is not just about food or body lotions. It’s about everything we get in contact with. One thing that’s often overlooked: our nails. It may seem that they’re not as sensitive as skin, but they actually are.
You know that strong smell nail polish tends to have, the one that sometimes makes you cough or even get a little dizzy? The chemical fumes from inhaling it can cause damage to your kidneys, liver, and even the reproductive hormones in the long term.
Should I Switch to Non-Toxic Nail Polish?
Short answer: Yes.
It may seem like you’re not really exposing yourself to the toxic fumes found in conventional nail polish, but you are, every time you’re applying a coat of varnish. Your nails are porous, absorbing the toxins directly into your body. While the practice of coloring nails goes back thousands of years to ancient China and Egypt, the first formulations were using natural ingredients such as beeswax, gelatin or henna.
Even the first commercial formulations, which appeared in the 1920s, were made with the likes of lavender and bergamot oil. Non-toxic nail polish is doable, available, and even affordable. If you’re worried that non-toxic brands will be hard to apply or chip quickly, guess what? They’re equally (if not more) long lasting and beautifully colored.
Nail Polish Ingredients To Avoid
In order to make colorful polish adhere to the nails and stay there for as long as possible, conventional nail polish uses an array of ingredients that have been identified as harmful to users. Some labels, however, will read ‘3-free’, ‘5-free’, ‘7-free’ etc. What does this actually mean?
Formaldehyde, toluene, and dibutyl phthalate are the most common toxic ingredients you will find in regular nail polish. These are used as an adhering agent, preservative, and chipping minimizer respectively, and they’ve all been shown to negatively impact consumers’ health. 3-free nail polish doesn’t use these three ingredients, and here’s why:
Formaldehyde has been linked to cancer, in addition to skin and respiratory tract infections. Inhaling toluene fumes will initially lead to headaches and nausea, while long-term exposure can cause depression of the central nervous system. It’s no wonder using both of these chemicals have been restricted in the European Union! Dibutyl phthalate, on the other hand, disrupts hormonal balance, in addition to kidney and liver function.
Another toxic ingredient commonly found in nail polish is camphor, responsible for the glossy finish of your nails, but also potentially for neurological complications and even seizures. Also used to create a glossy finish, formaldehyde resin causes allergic reactions and irritation for some users. Additional to formaldehyde, toluene, and dibutyl phthalate, 5-free nail polish also doesn’t contain any camphor or formaldehyde resin.
Ethyl tosylamide and xylene are toxic ingredients you won’t find in 7-free nail polish. The former is meant to soften the polymer in nail polish to prevent cracking. According to the EU Cosmetic Regulation, it shouldn’t be used in cosmetics and personal care products, as it weakens immunity over time. The latter causes headaches and dizziness when inhaled and has been shown to make its way inside the body.
Other ingredients to avoid
As if that weren’t enough, there are at least seven other ingredients you should try to avoid in nail polish. Parabens, silicone, colophonium, TPHP, tert-butyl hydroperoxide, organic halides, and animal-derived ingredients can all be excluded from your mani without being missed.
Can I Make My Own Nail Polish?
You totally can! If you’re the DIY type like we are, take control of the ingredients and colors in your nail polish by making your own. Then you can even use your copywriting skills to artfully name the shades!
How Do I Safely Remove Nail Polish?
Coloring your nails is fun, but removing the polish never is. Taking the non-toxic route for your nails also includes nail polish remover. Acetone just won’t do. It’s very harsh in contact with the skin, causing redness and irritation.
Sure, it removes nail polish pretty quickly, but it also removes skin’s natural oils, leading to dryness and cracked skin. Combined with dizziness and throat irritation from inhaling its fumes, there are plenty of reasons to skip the conventional nail polish remover.
Some alternatives you can use include alcohol, toothpaste (yes, toothpaste!), and hydrogen peroxide. Here’s our guide to removing nail polish the safe way.
What Are the Best Non-Toxic Nail Polishes?
Fortunately, there are a few brands who choose to skip toxic ingredients, and of course we had to try as many as we could get our hands (nails?) on. These are our favorite non-toxic nail polishes currently on the market – in some of our favorite colors for the season.
Long lasting and available in an array of pretty colors, Butter London is a classic when it comes to safe nail polishes. The varnish is formulated without formaldehyde, toluene, DPB, or parabens, and it’s an industry favorite.
7 FREE is formulated without parabens, phthalates (dibutyl phthalate), toluene, xylene, camphor, formaldehyde, resin, and animal-based ingredients, and it lasts longer than you would expect. We also love their custom vegan brush!
- Diamond Love // For a neutral, natural manicure, we love this subdued shade with just a hint of shimmer.
- Sedona // Warm and spring-like, this coral shade is playful and suitable for any age.
- Safari Vibes // Safari vibes? Yes, please! Take this minty colored nail polish on a stroll with you in the urban jungle.
Made in the USA, super shiny and long lasting, AILA avoids 16 harmful ingredients, it’s vegan, gluten free, and cruelty free.
- Pffff Ugggh // This shade of warm grey is neutral but chic. Like all AILA polishes, it’s also made without Parabens, Sulfates, Formaldehyde, Formaldehyde resin, Camphor, Dibutyl phthalate, Toluene, Triphenyl phosphate, Xylene, Bismuth oxychloride & Ethyl tosylamide.
- Bodega // There’s nothing like a classic shade of fiery red to put you in a good mood! We’re in awe of this particular shade.
Tiddlywink Tea // Not only is the name of this shade fun to pronounce (can you say it quickly five times?), it’s also super cute on your nails!
This long-lasting, chip-resistant nail polish applies flawlessly with the custom, extra-thick brush. 100% vegan, cruelty free, gluten free and non-toxic, with no artificial fragrance or parabens.
- Juicy Peach // This sweet peachy shade is pretty on its own for a natural mani, but it also makes a good base for nail art!
- Bedrock // Dark and elegant, this warm tone of brown adds just enough sparkle.
- Pink Crush // Mermaid vibes on your nails – who could resist?
Zoya comes in a wide range of non-toxic options, and we especially love their matte versions.
- Ana // A nude nail polish with a twist – it’s matte, and it looks simply elegant!
- Levi // For a maximalist look, gold glitter never fails to impress!
- Sage // This super fresh shade of green is perfect for spring! And it looks so stylish in their satin finish.
6. Dr.’s REMEDY
This polish is made with Garlic Bulb Extract, Tea Tree Oil, Wheat Protein and Vitamins C and E, ingredients you would never expect to find in nail polish. Plus it’s long lasting, which is always a good thing.
ALTRUISTIC Auburn // A playful burnt orange with earthy undertones. Your nails will stand out, without distracting from your outfit.
POISED Pink Champagne // This high-shine, shimmering soft pink champagne gives any manicure the Midas touch.
MINDFUL Mulberry // The juicy berry shade is stylishly tart and playful, yet sweet and classic.
This nail polish is water-based, which makes it a safe, gluten-free option for your nails. You can totally use it on kids, too, not only because it’s safe, but also because of how fun the color options are.
- Cameo // This fun pop of color on your nails is just what you need to brighten any look.
- French Kiss // Who doesn’t need a little romance in their lives?
- Lumen // Fresh like lemonade, this shade is super cute for girls and moms alike.
Free from toluene, camphor, phthalates, and formaldehyde, long-lasting, chip-resistant, they dry as quickly as their less healthful counterparts, and they’re even vegan and cruelty free.
- Mystery // Our go-to shade for everyday wear, it’s feminine without going overboard.
- Sharp Rose // You can’t go wrong with a natural shade like this one! Especially when it’s non-toxic.
- Flamingo // Classic pink nails never go out of style!
9. Piggy Paint
A polish that’s “natural as mud” and also kid-friendly, but which comes it lovely, adult-friendly shades. We also love that it’s very affordable!
- Pom Pom Party Pink // Everything you need to know about this shade of nail polish is in its name!
- Sea-Quin // Kids love mermaid-blue everything so they’re bound to love this particular color!
- Glitterbug // Release your inner child with all the glitter one could hope for!
This nail polish line from Sally Hansen is not just affordable and easy to find in most drugstores in a wide range of colors – it’s also free of 16 common toxic ingredients!
- Fruity Papaya // Natural, plant-based, and 100% vegan polish in a gorgeous exotic red.
- Raw Cacao // This gorgeous brown comes with 100% natural, plant-based brush bristles for better application.
- Beet It // Ever dreamed of wearing beets on your nails? Well, now you can, kind of…
This post was medically reviewed by Dr. Jennifer Haley, a board-certified dermatologist with extensive experience in medical, cosmetic and surgical dermatology. Learn more about Hello Glow’s medical review board here. As always, this is not personal medical advice and we recommend that you talk with your doctor.