This is the bouldered and dramatic intersection of two of my favorite things: cinnamon baked…
Cinnamon Swirl Oven Pancake
Cook all of your pancakes at once as one large oven pancake to make sure everyone gets a hot and fresh slice at the same time.
Servings: 4 2 slices each
- 1 cup all-purpose flour ($0.10)
- 1.5 tsp baking powder ($0.04)
- 2 Tbsp sugar ($0.02)
- 1 cup milk ($0.40)
- 1 large egg ($0.24)
- 4 Tbsp butter*, divided ($0.44)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract ($0.28)
- 1/4 tsp salt ($0.01)
- 1 tsp cinnamon ($0.10)
- 2 tsp brown sugar ($0.08)
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, vanilla, and 2 Tbsp melted butter.
- Pour the bowl of wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and stir just until everything is combined (avoid over stirring). Let the batter sit for five minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the cinnamon swirl mixture.
- Combine 1 tablespoon of melted butter with the cinnamon and brown sugar. Set the cinnamon mixture aside. This will be the cinnamon swirl in the pancake batter.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter to a 10″ oven-safe skillet. Preheat the skillet on the stove top over medium theat until he butter starts to sizzle and foam. Use a brush to spread the melted butter all over the surface and up the sides of the skillet.
- Pour the pancake batter into the preheated skillet. Drizzle the cinnamon mixture over the pancake batter and then drag a spoon through the surface to sort of swirl the cinnamon into the pancake batter.
- Transfer the skillet to the fully preheated 425ºF oven and bake for about 18 minutes, or until puffed in the center and slightly golden brown on the outer edges. If you prefer a more browned top to the pancake, you can switch the oven to the broil setting and broil until the desired color has been achieved (watch closely!).
- Slice the pancake into eight pieces and serve.
*If using unsalted butter, you may want to increase the salt in the recipe to ½ tsp.
How to Make an Oven Pancake – Step by Step Photos
Begin by preheating the oven to 425ºF. In a large bowl, stir together 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1.5 tsp baking powder, 2 Tbsp sugar, and 1/4 tsp salt.
In a separate bowl, whisk together 1 cup milk, 1 large egg, 2 Tbsp melted butter, and 1 tsp vanilla extract. Let the batter sit while you prepare the cinnamon swirl.
Combine 1 Tbsp melted butter, 1 tsp cinnamon, and 2 tsp brown sugar in a bowl. This will be the cinnamon swirl.
Add 1 Tbsp butter to a 10-inch oven-safe skillet. Heat on the stove top over medium until the butter is sizzling and foaming, then spread the butter all over the surface and up the sides of the skillet.
Pour the pancake batter into the skillet, then drizzle the cinnamon swirl over top. Gently drag a spoon through the surface to swirl the cinnamon into the batter. Transfer the skillet to the preheated 425ºF oven.
Bake the pancake for about 18 minutes, or until it’s puffed in the center and slightly golden brown around the edges. If you prefer the top more browned, you can switch the oven to the broil setting for a couple of minutes (watch it closely!).
Slice the pancake into eight pieces and serve immediately.